Unilorin Security Staff Assault Court Bailiff


Security officials at the University of Ilorin, Friday 31 March 2017, put the citadel of learning in the news again for the wrong reasons after some of its staff pounced on a court bailiff with the High Court division in Ilorin, Kwara State, assaulting him in the process.
This would be the second time the university would be reported to have done so after 2002 at the heat of an industrial crisis that has since been plaguing the school.
The incident, which the university authority has tried to suppress from getting out, the Armada exclusively learnt, was however leaked as the bailiff in question refused to be placated on the matter upon which competent sources reached out to the online newspaper.
The court bailiff, Mr. Wasiu Suleiman had gone to the University of Ilorin Campus to serve a court process on a defamation suit number KWS/ 102/ 17 before Hon. Justice Oyinloye coming up on April 11, 2017.
Dr. Kayode Afolayan, the ASUU Chairman of the University of Ilorin, had filed a N200 million defamation case at the Ilorin High Court with respondents in the case listed as The University of Ilorin, Mr. Kunle Akogun, Dr. U. A. Raheem of the Department of Geography, University of Ilorin, Dr. L.A. Azeez of the Department of Mass Communication, Prof. Ayo Akinwale of the Department of the Performing Arts and Alhaji Ganiyu Durodola, the General Manager of the Unilorin F.M.
Suleiman had gone to the campus on Tuesday to serve the process but was told to come back on Wednesday. On getting there on Wednesday, he was to serve Mr. Kunle Akogun, the University spokesperson, the court process, but to his surprise, right there in Mr. Akoguns office, campus security officials pounced on him from nowhere and started beating him up.
The bailiff’s clothes were torn and his handset shattered by the Unilorin campus security operatives and he was held hostage for hours.
After the incident, the court bailiff managed to call his superior in the office that went to the campus with a warrant of arrest and a police officer that arrested the Chief Security Officer of the University and other suspects.
The arrested men were brought before Deputy Registrar (DCR) Litigation, Chief Magistrate Kuranga who ordered that the men who assaulted Wasiu be produced within 48 hours. The court officials seized the Identity cards of the Chief Security Officer and other men arrested.
The ultimatum to produce the suspects given to the university lapsed today. As at the time of going to press, the Unilorin management is yet to produce the security official that beat up the court bailiff.
Instead, as gathered, frantic efforts are being made to try to cover up the assault. The Unilorin authorities said to have promised the court bailiff that his handset that was broken and the cloth that was torn would be replaced.
They have also promised to give the assaulted bailiff admission slot in the university among other benefits.